Heart Week is celebrated to help start a conversation about heart health and the steps needed to reduce the risk of heart disease.
Heart week will focus on the importance of having a heart health check.
2019 Heart Week the focus is on:
- Heart health checks and what they involve
- Which patients should have a heart health check and why
- What steps patients can take to manage their risk of heart disease and stroke.
Symptoms of heart attack in women include:
- unusual fatigue lasting for several days or sudden severe fatigue
- sleep disturbances
- shortness of breath
- indigestion or gas-like pain
- upper back, shoulder, or throat pain
- jaw pain or pain that spreads up to your jaw
- pressure or pain in the centre of your chest, which may spread to your arm
Symptoms of a heart attack in men include:
- standard chest pain/pressure that feels like “an elephant” is sitting on your chest, with a squeezing sensation that may come and go or remain constant and intense
- upper body pain or discomfort, including arms, left shoulder, back, neck, jaw, or stomach
- rapid or irregular heartbeat
- stomach discomfort that feels like indigestion
- shortness of breath, which may leave you feeling like you can’t get enough air, even when you’re resting
- dizziness or feeling like you’re going to pass out
- breaking out in a cold sweat